Saturday, March 01, 2008

Random Thoughts On Saturday, Honoring the God of Agriculture

Saturday, The God Of Agriculture
In the spirit of Saturnus, a quick review of what my sickle is reaping from my life's harvest today. (Do sickles reap? Maybe. But it's Saturday, so I'm not going to bother fact-checking.)

First, though, a quick political thought:

I. The EPA (Environmental Problems Acceptance, or Environmental Problems Aggregation) has justified denying California the right to enforce stricter greenhouse gas emission standards for automobiles by saying that global warming is not unique to the state.

Which is kind of like saying "Well, everyone has the same problem, so no one should try to fix it."

Seriously, this administration and the bureaucracy it has put in place has been devastating to this country and this world. And it is only through my desire to be tolerant that I don't say something like "I wish I could believe in an afterlife so that I could know that these greedy powermongers would face consequences and judgment beyond that of history." Consequences such as being cut down, separated from the wheat, and put through a spiritual threshing machine. I may have that out of order, because I don't know, technically, what a threshing machine does, but again, Saturday. Justified laziness.



II. Online dating bears fruit! After frustrations with eHarmony (no matches until after the free weekend was over) and almost no responses on match.com (and nothing that resulted in a date), I decided to give a new site a try, crazyblinddate.com, pointed out to me by . Why the heck not, I thought. I'm all about meeting random people these days. And this site has the added benefit of not really having to initiate contact with these people before getting a date out of it. The site does the work, provides some basic information about possible matches (but no photos, so none of those issues), and then finds a time and a place for a quick blind date.

I will admit to some reluctance, stemming from my inclination to not try new things, but I pushed through it. On Wednesday, suddenly, a possible match! I had to act urgently and quickly to try to set it up! Oh no! But I didn't want to go out. I wanted to stay in and relax and read and drink wine. Oh no!

But I decided that on principle, I had to do it, so despite my unease, I accepted and set up a potential meeting time and place, pending her acceptance. So I acted on principle, and was rewarded when twenty minutes later, I was informed the date was cancelled. That wasn't so hard!

And then, imagine my surprise when another possible date showed up later that same evening. I was tired from wine at that point, so I had to decline, as guilty as that made me feel, but it gave me the option to seek a rescheduling, so I'm waiting to see if she will accept a date for next Wednesday. I found myself less nervous about this one.

And then last night, when I got a message that another date was in the works for tonight, I was downright excited. It seems to be getting easier and easier to deal with blind dates, and I haven't even gone on one yet. (Yes, I know, I could get bushwhacked by awkwardness, but hey, it would be a story, and I want as many stories as I can get). And so I promptly accepted, and a few minutes later received confirmation that the coffee date was confirmed for tonight at 7:30, so I'm feeling good about that.

There's no pressure on it, and most likely nothing will happen. But it is a new experience, a chance to meet someone new and practice my dating skills, and an excuse to go out for coffee (as if I needed an excuse). And because we didn't converse before hand, she won't have some wrong impression of what I would be like in real life, a problem that has cost me a couple of potentially great friendships in my life.


III. I was ecstatic to hear that Candlestick Park is once again to be officially called Candlestick Park. No more corporate shilling. No more 'Monster Park' monstrosity. Much as there is a plan to spray pesticides over San Francisco and the greater Bay Area to kill off apple moths and liberals, the city of San Francisco sprayed legislative pesticide over the stadium, forbidding the team from selling the naming rights again when the current contract expires.

That was pretty good, but I would have been a bit disappointed if that, plus the extension of the contract for a thus far lackluster Alex Smith, had been the primary moves of the 49ers during the initial stages of Free Agency '08. But then I found they had signed the coveted pass rusher Justin Smith, and then added the veteran leadership of wide receiver Isaac Bruce, who even at 35 has to be considered an upgrade from the collective mediocrity of the 2007 imbroglio.



IV. I am tending my life in quiet ways. My mom is in the hospital in Montana, feeling like she is finally getting some proper care, that her condition is finally being attacked full bore to determine the cause. She is feeling better and hopeful, which in turn reassures me, though of course I am continuing to be anxious. I was telling my friends Vaughn and Tara about it last night, and was surprised to find my voice quavering. Apparently I am a little more anxious than I was letting myself realize.

But all will be well. I cleaned and cleared my room last night, pruning away some extraneous bits of paperwork, drinking wine, eating cookies, and watching Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert.

I awoke to a clean and tidy room, perfect for a relaxed Saturday morning of home-brewed coffee and scones from the Irish bakery, reading the paper, listening to Weekend Edition, et al. Soon I will run, then do laundry, then do my best to avoid nerves prior to the coffee date. It is going to be a good weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home