Monday, June 01, 2009

Juggling People

What is it about unexpected decisions that can make them so subtle that you can't even really see where they are leading you, but you know they are leading you somewhere?

For some reason, I decided it would be a good idea to take more ownership at work, with some rough idea of planting the seeds for a career. A career, of all things? It doesn't feel right to be thinking of such things; I'm barely 29, still a child really. I should be tossing all these random adventures and notions up and down and around the contours of my imagination, right?

Weird.

Anyway, I ended up volunteering to be placed on various teams at work, with the notion of networking and being involved in something creative, or at least developmental. This is how I ended up today balancing in my hands the lives of my co-workers, at least to a degree, albeit a minor degree, kind of like a degree in party planning from Arizona State.

We are preparing the first training class to be developed by our team, and my manager asked me to come up with a schedule for getting all my call center colleagues through the class. It might not sound complicated at first, but when you look at the varying shifts, when some people leave early, some people only work on certain days, and when you consider how many people need to be on the phones on certain days and at certain times, it starts to look like a jigsaw puzzle. You think you've figured it out, and then you see a problem that means switching three or four people all around.

I feel oddly satisfied in getting that done, even if it is such a small thing, really. I don't know what that implies about me. I still don't want to think that my career could be in something like a credit union, as much as it would be infinitely preferable to something corporate; I want to think of my future as a destiny, but how many people can really achieve 'destiny', and of those who do, how many could be happy?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home