Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Musings Fit To Delay Laundry

While I sit here, busily not doing the laundry I planned to do tonight, the following random thoughts occur to me.

1) An upside-down laundry tub makes for a fine computer table. It's deep blue, plastic, opaque, and it is the perfect size to support my laptop while I eat a peanut butter sandwich.

2) Oh, baseball. I was so excited there before the All-Star break. Then Pablo Sandoval is not elected to the game--thanks a lot, Hawaii, and your campaign for Shane Victorino--and then the Giants go on the road, where optimism goes to die. We lose a series to the Pirates--the Pirates!--and then get battered around by Atlanta. Colorado, meanwhile, keeps winning, leaping over us into second place and the wild card lead. This sucks, especially because my vanity was once bruised by Colorado.

Still, I won free tickets to Tuesday's Giants-Pirates game in San Francisco, proving once more that going to work can be rewarding, and preserving my project of at least one game attended a month.

3) Ukraine banned the new Sacha Baron Cohen movie on grounds of immorality. This is why no one cares what the Ukraine thinks about things.

4) Apparently the ESPN Network will not be able to televise the US-Mexico World Cup Qualifier in August, because the Mexican network that owns the rights refused the price ESPN offered for rights. Just another reason to say to hell with Mexico.

Then again, it is complicated by the fact that the Mexican network's parent company is NBC Universal. NBC has announced no plans to broadcast the game.

To hell with corporate nonsense.

5) I want to create a blog specifically to handle my sports writings, to narrow the focus, and also so that those people who don't like reading sports can follow my primary blog without being ambushed by vernacular that bores them. (This does not apply to LiveJournal, of course. You people are stuck with everything I want to spill out there) What I need, of course, is a clever title. My primary sports writings will be about soccer and baseball, both of which evoke a childlike passion for the story lines and the action on the field, and I think the title should pay tribute to that sensibility.

But I think A Boy And His Balls can be ruled out, for obvious reasons.

I like the idea of using something with the word pitch, as a soccer field in Britain is called the pitch, and of course, there is baseball sense of the word as well. So I'm thinking of something along the lines of The Daily Pitch Count.

Time for a poll! Hurray! Everyone loves polls. My version won't allow me to insert polls yet, so this is informal. If you want to vote, add a comment. Not that I'm fishing for comments or anything.



What Should The Name Of My New Blog Be?
The Daily Pitch Count
A Boy And His Balls
Playing The Field
something else entirely


2 Comments:

Blogger Benjamin said...

Hi Devin,

A couple of points:

1. Not that anyone cares, but I think Ukraine dropped its definite article;

2. Have you ever thought of spicing things up a bit with the sandwiches? After all, you're a grown man now. Try almond or cashew butter on some fancy bread that comes in a paper bag;

3. I don't even understand the language you're using for this "sports" blog, but I find a boy and his balls appealing. I think you should go for it!

Good seeing you and Marina this weekend, btw. Sounds like she and Yona got to hang out a bit, too, which is nice. We'll be in SF from the 7th to the 10th of August. Wanna hang out again?

2:52 PM  
Blogger Devin said...

Thank you, Ben. Good catch on Ukraine. I will correct that immediately. No wonder they felt the need to define themselves through some random, stupid bit of false morality; they were feeling suddenly indefinite about themselves.

As for sandwiches, what can I say? Peanut butter is like me: cheap and easy.

I would love to hang out again in August; I have another friend in town, but we will find time to meet up!

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home