Sunday, April 18, 2010

Vision of The Future

I bought new glasses last week and picked them up on Saturday. I had to take advantage of my vision benefits, because the new coverage year begins in June, and who knows if the benefits will be as strong? Also, Marina no longer was buying my claim that my old glasses were designed to protect my eyes from the sun with a protective layer of dirt and scratches.

We picked out a nice and dignified pair of glasses with a plastic frame at Through The Hayes optometry, and I like them. They make me feel like a cross between Clark Kent and Ira Glass, only shorter and with more disreputable hair.

Walking out of the store, trying on the new glasses for the first time, was literally a trippy experience. All of a sudden, I felt much taller, not in an improved-self-esteem way, but more in the sense that the ground looked much further away, and I kept misjudging the curb, stumbling slightly in crossing the street. Still, I've adjusted now, and I like it. Now I have new hats, new glasses, and I've figured out how to use an electric razor without inflicting catastrophe upon myself.

I've also started thinking again, which is nice. I attribute this to reading Jonathan Lethem's new novel, Chronic City. The main character reminds me a bit of Will in Nick Hornby's About A Boy, but the main thing is that it is absorbing me and making me think about the structure of writing a story.

So for a variety of factors, I've started thinking about making a plan. It is a multi-faceted plan with an objective as yet unclear, but I thought I would share it:

1) WRITING
a) Within the next six months, I will take a class on technical writing or copy-editing.
b) I will write two short stories within the next two months.
c) I will continue to maintain topic-focused blogs at least every other day.
d) I will research careers in editing and publishing.


2) TRAVEL
a) I will set up a separate savings account for travel, into which I will put 1/2 of all my deposits to savings accounts.
b) I will travel to Mexico this year.
c) I will travel to Toronto this year.
d) I will travel to New York City in the next three years.
e) I will go back to Europe in the next five years.



So that's about the extent of my plan for now. Looking at it in retrospect, I'm not sure if it is plausible, but what is life without something to aim for, right?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay to all the items on your list, but especially to going to Toronto!

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Admin is Ben. Don't know why it said that!

5:08 PM  
Blogger Devin said...

That's quite all right. It allowed us to artificially inflate my comment count, which I'm all for.

I'm looking forward to Toronto a whole heck of a lot. Especially because I now know the secret that you and Dana and I share.

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh! But do I? I know I've got secrets, but I can't think of what they might be...

And, Dana, my step father or Dana my soon-to-be-sister-in-law?

11:38 PM  
Blogger Devin said...

Well, now I'm confused. I thought I meant Dana your step-father. I had no idea there was a Dana, Ben's soon-to-be-sister-in-law in the equation. And now, reading the other comments on your blog again, I'm confused as to whether there is a full appreciation of Buffy by the other Dana or not.

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home