Saturday, October 23, 2010

Nailed!

You know those promises you always make with full sincerity while secretly hoping the lip service is enough? I made such a promise recently to Marina, when she wanted me to get a manicure/pedicure with her. Yesterday, she collected on the promise.

"But," I pointed out,"it's raining out. We can't get manicures/pedicures while it's raining, right?"

I was incorrect on this point.

It isn't that I think manicures/pedicures are unmanly. I'm evolved enough to know that questions of manliness are the refuge of the insecure and the stupid. It's just that I've never had a manicure/pedicure before. I'm not insecure, just subject to the inertia of my lifelong habits or lack thereof.

We went to Glen Park Nails, on a little side street in the Glen Park neighborhood. It was quiet, clean, and easy to park close, which was good due to the rain.

Let me just say that now I don't know why anyone would not want to get a manicure/pedicure. We escaped the rain, put our feet in hot water, sat in a chair with a massage feature, and were swarmed by a gang of Vietnamese and Cambodian women as if we were a stock car making a pit stop. What part of that is not for everyone?

Plus now my fingernails look buff and smooth and fascinatingly free of dangling cuticle fragments. And it helped win a pennant for the Giants, so that's good. How do I know it helped the Giants win? Well, last year, I did not get a manicure/pedicure and the Giants didn't win the pennant. Yesterday, I got a manicure/pedicure and the Giants did win the pennant. Q.E.D.

Would I do it every week or every month? Probably not. But every time the Giants are in a Game 6 against Philadelphia in Philly, up 3 games to 2 in the National League Championship Series, I will get a lucky manicure/pedicure. Anything to beat the Phillies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home