Sunday, August 07, 2011

Random Comforts

Debt limit crisis, more casualties in Afghanistan, economic worries, China criticizing our economic sensibilities. There's a lot to feel unsettled about today. None of which I can solve by snapping my fingers, so instead, I'll write some things that make me happy today:

1) Getting up early on a foggy Sunday. In particular, a Sunday when I don't have to work on Monday. Sometimes I enjoy sleeping in on the weekend, but today I was revved up to start the day. I washed some dishes, bought doughnuts and the paper, brewed coffee, scrambled some eggs, and settled down to breakfast before 8:30. By nine, I had written a blog entry that I enjoyed. By ten, I had started laundry. A nice morning.

2) George R. R. Martin finally getting the book done. I'm working my way slowly through A Dance With Dragons, enjoying every minute after a wait of five years. At this rate, HBO might have to stretch out some of the books to keep Game of Thrones going without hiatus before the final two books come out, but it would be totally worth it.

3) Not working on Monday. Sure, I have to have a tooth extracted at 1:30, but I will have the morning to myself, and it is always a strangely cozy feel to go get coffee and a bagel and watch other people hurrying off to work.

That's enough to go on for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home