Tuesday, January 03, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

I'm a relaxed person, as a general rule, except in those situations that demand urgent action, like screaming at the TV to help my team win a crucial game. New Year's Resolutions are not such a situation.

Hey, most resolutions are not something that will be satisfied in a day, so why rush to craft resolutions on one particular day that just happens to be used--by general consensus--to denote the beginning of a year? Our current calendar is not same one that western society has always used, nor is it the only calendar in existence now. There is nothing inherent about January 1st that marks it as the absolute beginning of an objective year.

All that goes to justify why I've waited until now to come up with some resolutions.

1) This week I will delete my MySpace account.

The spur to eliminate this connection to News Corp. was not the voice-mail hacking scandal in England. Nor was it the long slide into profit-mongering in the guise of journalistic buffoonery by Fox News. No, the straw that really irritated me into scratching MySpace was the attack on the Muppets.

You just don't attack the Muppets.

It will be a big sacrifice to eliminate MySpace, but sometimes you have to take a stand for a principle. Never mind the fact that I haven't logged in to MySpace in two years. Nor the fact that I haven't heard anyone mention MySpace in a really long time. And never mind the fact that there seems to be some shared login options between MySpace and Facebook. Just accept that this is a big deal.

2) Speaking of Facebook, I resolve to log in to Facebook no more than once a day.

Okay, twice a day.

I spent my day off yesterday running, walking along the glorious Santa Cruz coastline, reading and writing. I realized that I could do this even on my work days, if it weren't for Facebook. Facebook tends to suck up a disproportionate amount of my non-work time. If I'm going to ramp up my writing to where I would like it to be, I will need cut down the amount of time I spend on Facebook.

So twice a day will be my limit for checking Facebook. That doesn't include the times when I have a comment or link to post, because obviously those don't count as non-productive log-ins.

3) Speaking of running, I resolve to run more, but always BEFORE having coffee and a bagel. I mean, ouch, that hurt. Actually, running more is not a relevant term. I will just resolve to run. You can't run more when the baseline is zero running.

Not that the fact that I haven't run in a year or so is the real reason why I got so winded so quickly yesterday. It was totally only the fact that I had coffee and bagel calories weighing me down.

4) Speaking of living in Santa Cruz, I resolve to never play the bongos. No further explanation needed. And you're welcome.

I think those are quite enough resolutions to be getting on with.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home