Monday, May 19, 2008

Random Thoughts, Finding A Forum

So I took the chance of submitting an edited version of my last blog as a letter to the editor at the SF Chronicle. I need to put my voice out there as something more than preaching to a choir, I suppose, and the Chronicle qualifies as more than the choir, even if SF is probably a fairly friendly audience for what I have to say, assuming it is selected for publication:

"One line from the decision overturning the ban on same-sex marriage made me feel particularly good: "[O]ur state now recognizes that an individual’s capacity to establish a loving and long-term committed relationship with another person . . . does not depend upon the individual’s sexual orientation . . ."

The immediate reaction from those pushing to amend the constitution to make marriage only between a man and a woman is their right, of course, and is a vital element of a functioning democratic process.

But why make this stand that smacks of xenophobia? Two people expressing their love for each other through marriage in no way invalidates the love of any other couple.

Marriage as a sacred thing? What of marriages involving domestic abuse?

Marriage is only as sacred as the love that each partner feels for the other, and that sort of love is gender-independent.

Please tell me why you think gay marriage marks the end of the world, especially in light of the world ending for so many in Burma and China.

With the abundance of humanitarian causes available in the world, why work to deny someone a loving and publicly recognized relationship?"

A few fascinating questions emerged as I prepared this. What is the proper way to engage in a topic likely to provoke some yelling and screaming and pinching, with infants even worse? And is it worth the risk? Having started reading The Assault On Reason this week, I think it is worth it, though I don't know the right method. I'm trying to strike a conversational, non-antagonistic tone, something that might make people think. I don't know how well this would succeed. Any thoughts on how one might try to put his voice out there in a potentially helpful, non-divisive way?

And it is also fascinating how the editing constraints of a word count make you really reflect on the core message and your target audience. in less than 200 words, how do I say what I want to say in a way that might make people take notice and consider what i have to say?

If I have a purpose in life, it is to speak up for what I think is right. That doesn't help me pick a career, and might sound a bit pompous, and might sound like I have delusions of being able to change the world. But nevertheless, of all the things I question about myself and what I pursue, this is one area where I feel certain. And that small sense of purpose, even if it is a pebble tossed in a stream, is kind of a good feeling.

If only a letter to the editor was a PAYING proposition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home