Monday, June 01, 2009

Random Bits Of Weirdness

I.

The mail today bore a brown envelope postmarked from Houston that looked uncannily like junk mail. For some reason, I opened it, even when I've grown weary of opening envelopes from Amnesty, Human Rights Council, Oxfam, and all the other worthy causes that I've seen fit to support in the past, and whose letters I now spurn like a scornful, bored ex-lover.

It contained a letter from an American National Insurance Company and a check for $19.47. Apparently, because I paid off a car loan back in September of 2007, a couple of years early, I was entitled to a reimbursement for a partial premium on credit life and/or disability insurance.

This was surprising to me, because, first of all, I didn't know I ever even HAD such insurance on the loan. When I bought the car from Flanagan's Mazda, they never managed to get me a user's guide to the car; how did they manage to get me an extra insurance plan? Second of all, how did I get such a random amount reimbursed, especially almost two years later?

It does have a kind of neat cosmic harmonious timing, in that it keeps with my new habits of picking up change I see on the street and actually depositing small chunks of it into a more useful if more abstract form, i.e., adding it to my checking account balance.

II.

And then you get Dick Cheney, apparently trying to emerge from the rabbit hole and turn it inside out.

First, he comes out in support of gay marriage, though he says it should be a decision left to the states, rather than the federal government. Then he says that there was no 9/11 link between Iraq and Al-Qaeda.

This feels like a trick.

Oh, that's right. He's working on a book.

III.

It's been a bad year for me when it comes to English soccer. My favorite team, Newcastle United, plummets out of the Premiership, and Manchester United, carrying the banner for English football, loses the Champions' League to Barcelona, which allows Marina the opportunity for much clever-but-stinging Spanish-centric smack talk!

The worst part is that I can't argue with either result, which were truly deserved.

Oddly, I have had solace of late in the improved play of the San Francisco Giants. How weird is it that the empire that is Manchester United should let me down, but I should find amelioration in the .500 winning percentage of the Giants?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home