Wednesday, March 07, 2012

AdSense Makes No Sense

Four months ago, I decided to experiment with Google AdSense. It seemed a passive and relatively harmless way to try to earn money for my writing by allowing ads on my three blogs on Blogspot. It also seemed good motivation to write as much as possible, and when I asked people what they thought, no one seemed offended by the notion of putting up with ads to read my blogs.

As of today, I've decided to remove the ads.

I looked at my AdSense profile page this morning, and after four months of allowing Google to post ads, I have unpaid earnings of . . . $1.12.

Considering that I wouldn't get paid until after I had $100 of earnings, this is clearly not a sustainable model for me.

It is nice to have a view counter to keep track of how many views I'm getting, but that's not enough. For the most part, the ads are simply clutter on my pages, giving Google a platform to sell ads without having to pay me anything.

AdSense might work well for some people, especially people who write about subjects that would attract people more likely to click on ads. Maybe people who write about technology or review products or fashion trends would earn measurable amounts. And Blogspot gives me a nice, easy platform for sharing my thoughts and musings with the world. But it isn't worth my time and energy to have ads interfering with the layouts of my blogs.

There may be some good options out there for me to earn money for writing, but Google Ads is not the way.

Enough of this: I'm off to make some scrambled eggs. Those will sustain me, unlike Google.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home