Sunday, July 06, 2008

Random Thoughts, How San Francisco Is Like Missoula: Lessons From Mexican Masked Wrestling, Burlesque, and Comedy

I went through the looking glass the other night. And on the other side, I found that San Francisco was just like another day in Missoula, at least in the Fillmore for a performance of Mexican Masked Wrestling, Striptease, and Comedy¹.

Here is an itemized list of the things I saw and heard in San Francisco that are right out of Missoula:

1) A midget dressed as a chicken leaping fifteen feet from a balcony into a flying-elbow-drop onto the stage below.

2) The above was part of a three-on-three wrestling match between those natural enemies, orcas and chickens. This led to an auditorium full of drunk and high San Franciscans breaking into that oh-so-common cry of support and partisan passion, that universal political rallying cry that has presaged revolution and justice through the ages,"VI-va CHICK-en!"

Though why the ORCAS had to be the villains is beyond me.

3) Robin Williams.

Marina whispered to me at one point, "Robin Williams is standing right behind you." I turned, casually as possible, and out of the corner of my eye saw the man standing there in a black turtleneck and black glasses and gray hair, looking for all the world like just a normal person out for an evening of Mexican Masked Wrestling, Burlesque, and Comedy.

I was tempted to try to sound clever, saying something casual to Marina like, "Oh, this is JUST like Missoula, Montana. Yep, just like it." But I didn't, because really, that would just make me seem lame, trying to pretend to be ironically feigning cool and worldliness around Robin Williams, right?

Robin Williams.

Besides, given the random bewigged and masked people coming up to him and telling him how awesome he is and trying to get him to join in the show, I'm sure he appreciated my casual pretending that I hadn't noticed it was him. If you're reading this, Robin, you're welcome!


4) An epic three-way match for a sparkly belt between Team Mexico, dressed up like a dinosaur and a tiger respectively, Team USA, dressed up like The Hardy Boys Meet The Dukes Of Hazzard Meet Steroids Meet Professional Wrestling Attire, and Team Gay, dressed up as glitter. Did I mention this was Pride Week? Team Gay was clearly the crowd favorite, entering to "It's Raining Men".

And did I mention Robin Williams was there? Like two feet from me?

5) Twins dressed as schoolgirls beating the hell out of some thugs in a fairly acrobatic and gymnastic manner. Sexo y Violencia is the theme of the show, which I guess isn't really disturbing as long as the good guys win, and by good guys, I mean women. Right? Right? Or am I just a prude?

No, it's still disturbing. Cool, but disturbing.

It really was pretty cool how they trapped those guys with their legs and somersaulted them through the air before slamming them to the canvas.


So yeah. It was exactly like Missoula, except for all the drunk and high people. ¹

¹For clear disclosure purposes, note that I said I went through the looking glass, so please take all comparisons with Missoula with a grain of salt, except for the drunk and high part, which you can take with a grain of salt on a margarita glass.

1 Comments:

Blogger pj finn said...

Sounds like quite a night. By the way, I hear Robin Williams was there -- did you see him?

6:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home