Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Ads For Blogs: A Call For Thoughts

A call for feedback from my readers. In this age of digital publication, it seems to make sense to allow ads on my blogs--not on LiveJournal, but on Blogger. It would potentially allow me to actually earn a little money from my online writing, which would be nice. The trouble is, I've always felt uncomfortable with that notion, because it seems like a passive mode of getting money, almost unethical, because it isn't like I would have gone through the trouble of submitting writing and getting it published. I still feel a little guilty for the money I earned from the now-defunct Themestream.com.

In this age, however, when people can self-publish material intended for direct sale to e-Readers, etc., is it more acceptable to try these alternate methods of capitalizing on something in which I invest a considerable amount of time? The tricky thing is the need to develop a privacy policy, apparently, advising readers that Google AdSense may put a cookie on their browser to target the ads they see. That makes me a little unsure. For all the people who have taken the time to read what I post, do I really want to make them deal with that question?

I'll pursue the application process for Google AdSense, but in the meantime, I would love to hear thoughts from people as to whether this is a terrible idea or not. Would it discourage you from reading the blog?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I can't see anything wrong with self-publishing material intended for direct sale to e-readers, as I quote you -- in fact I think that would be a lot more desirable that having ads on your blog, but I don't think having ads on the blog is a bad idea, either.
By the way, one of your devoted readers who shall remain nameless wanted to put a comment on the previous blog but was stymied by the need to have an identity of some sort.

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home