Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Hidden Gems Of Life

I am off today after working some or all of the past 7 days, and P went to daycare, so I went for a long walk in Dimond Canyon.  It's a small slice of Montana in the middle of Oakland, a long, quiet canyon full of bushes and trees, although the oaks are uniquely California.  There are side trails down to Sausal Creek, which actually contains water at the moment, left over from Stormageddon.  It's surprisingly silent and empty of people, although the marks of people are everywhere:  the clever "I'm so hard" tag on a rock; the intricate and sometimes beautiful graffiti on the underside of a bridge, supporting the roadway with the names and tags of graffiti artists.  Have you ever noticed that graffiti artists have a fantastic understanding of color combinations? 

I want to spend my life noticing things.  I noticed the first blooming buds on skeletal trees, hopefully not too early. 

The new phone comes with a built-in pedometer, a built-in reason to sustain my iPhanaticism.  I've taken 9710 steps so far today.  I'm aiming for a minimum of 10,000 a day, to shed some extra pounds along with extra stress.  Walking in the canyon always makes me feel lighter, with a warm feeling in my stomach, kind of like the relaxing sensation after a nice, slow, comfortable release of waste, to put it delicately, releasing poisons both emotional and physical. 

Today I got about as far as I could go in Dimond Canyon, as far as I could tell; it appeared there was another trail on the opposite canyon wall, although access is unclear.  Next walking project: a circumnavigation of Lake Merritt (side note to job applicants: if you attended Merritt College, don't spell it Merit College on your resume; it earns you demerits in the consideration of those reviewing your information).

Miss P has not been in perfect health the last few days; whether teething or working through a virus, she has had various digestive complaints of late, but no fever and generally happy.  I'm taking her to a pre-scheduled 18 month check up today, the first time when I will be taking her on my own, without Marina there.  I realize that I tend to rely on Marina to be the grown-up, although I do my best to be mature.  Maybe grown-up is the wrong word; maybe I mean practical.  Anyway, I'm doing my best to grow up along with my daughter.  That effort provides gems of its own.  She's my sweet little child.

My weight has gone back up, reaching as far as 209, but down to 206 today after my walk.  That's success.  I have to keep the focus on healthy choices and making progress.  That's another gem, making the choice of going for a long walk on a day off, instead of sedentary hedonism. 

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course if you have a baby on your back, the steps count double. But I fear she may be already way too determined to walk on her own two feet!

8:27 AM  
Blogger Ravi said...

BSF Recruitment 2017 Police Bharti Latest News
Board Datesheet 2017
TBSE Madhyamik Routine 2017
HBSE 10th Datesheet 2017
MBSE HSLC Datesheet 2017
GSEB SSC Datesheet 2017
BSEM HSLC Datesheet 2017
BSEB Matric Datesheet 2017
SEBA HSLC Datesheet 2017

9:03 AM  
Blogger Ravi said...

AP Board SSc Datesheet 2017
WEst Bengal Madhyamik Datesheet 2017
Uttarakhand Board 10th Datesheet 2017
Uttarakhand Board 10th Admit Card 2017
RBSE 10th Datesheet 2017
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PSEB 10th Datesheet 2017
MBOSE SSLC Datesheet 2017
Maharashtra SSc Datesheet 2017

9:04 PM  
Blogger حاتم النجار said...


شركة صرف صحي بالجبيل

11:19 AM  
Blogger حاتم النجار said...



شركة انوار الجنة للخدمات المنزلية
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام

12:10 PM  
Blogger UplayOnline said...

the steps count double.


สล็อต ออนไลน์ ได้ เงิน จริง
goldenslot

12:07 PM  
Blogger ركن كلين said...


لذلك تحرص شركتنا افضل شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض كأفضل الشركات الموجودة فى الرياض على التخلص من جميع الأفات الشرسه مثلا الفئران وغيرها من القوارض التى من الممكن ان تكون سبب فى تدمير اغراض اى منزل او قد تسبب بعض الامراض اونقلها.
شركة رش دفان بالرياض
شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض
شركة مكافحة الصراصير بالرياض
شركة مكافحة النمل الاسود بالرياض
شركة مكافحة بق الفراش بالرياض
اسعر شركات مكافحة الحشرات بالرياض
شركة مكافحة الفئران بالرياض
شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالرياض

11:24 AM  
Blogger مركز الاختيار للطب النفسي said...

شركة تنظيف كنب في دبي
شركة تنظيف بالشارقة
شركات تنظيف المنازل الشارقة

شركة تنظيف كنب بالشارقة
شركة تنظيف فلل في دبي
شركة تنظيف الخزانات في دبي
شركة تنظيف خزانات في الشارقة
شركة تنظيف شقق في دبي
شركة تنظيف موكيت بالبخار بدبي



5:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home