Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Writing, Day 7

You learn things.  You learn that while you like and respect the people you work with, they can really piss you off and turn you into a razor-edged cynic, ready to be done with them at a moment's notice.  You learn that when there is something being talked about that you don't agree with, you can find a principle to anchor you, to say "I disagree with this, and it should not be done this way."  You learn that you can watch someone totally change tacks in the middle of a meeting, and wonder why that just happened, and you can wonder if you just made an actual positive change by throwing up a dam against a flood of mistakes. 

You can find victory in holding firm to a certain perspective that reduces the chances of mistakes and loss, rather than a creative strategy that creates gain and positive momentum, and maybe that is just as valuable. 

Numbers mean both more and less than the sum of their parts.  Business interests and the humanitarian perspective are in the balance, and you really have to fight hard for the humanitarian interests in the sake of being fair to everyone one.  Ironic, really.

You can be sick of everyone's bullshit and love them all the more for it. 

You can look at the regrets you are harboring over friendships lost, and realize: "What the fuck.  He threw it away himself."  You can be done with someone just like that. 

You can realize that you have a sneakily bad temper, and that it must be true what they say about Italians, even a quarter-Italian.  No wonder Italians snap and starting jumping on mushrooms and evil turtles.  We Mediterranean types don't tolerate princess-napping, even in 8-bit venues. 

You can think to yourself, "What if the narrator is a ghost?  Not a real ghost, but a metaphorical ghost?"  And then you can slap yourself for being a pompous ass.  And then you can slap yourself again for using the word pompous.  And then you can laugh at yourself for talking about yourself in very meta ways.  It's fun!

And then you can laugh at yourself for that too. 

Fuck it.  Life is brilliant, if stressful.  People will let you down.   People will haul you up.  You just need to be the John Lennon of your own life.  I'm sure that means something wise.  If you don't know what it means, then you need to listen to more John Lennon. 

It also probably means that I've had enough bourbon for one night. 

2 Comments:

Blogger JNesbitt said...

Hi! I stumbled upon your abandoned blog. I don’t remember how. But I’m a blogger, too, and I have a lost and abandoned blog or two, and one I still write in. This post reaally struck a chord with me, because I’ve had many of the same thoughts. I thought you might enjoy hearing a voice from the ether saying “hey, I’ve thought these thoughts, too!”

4:28 PM  
Blogger JNesbitt said...

NOW I remember how I got here. I Googled “bagolitos “. 😄

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home