Monday, March 06, 2006

Random Thoughts On Sports, From The Sublime To The Ridiculous

Part 1. The Sublime

Baseball is here, and all is right with the world. I watched a bit of a Spring Training game today between Cleveland and the Mets, and all the old excitement came flooding back. There are few things as beautiful to see as a batter making clean contact with a pitch, knocking the ball in a smooth arc down the foul line or up the middle. I love hearing the crack of wood on horsehide, watching a shortstop diving full-length to snare the ball in his glove.

While there may not be anyone as mythical today as DiMaggio was to Hemingway (in part because the media's constant investigation of each and every fault and controversy, not to mention the steroid issue, has diminished individual brilliance), baseball is still at heart a clean, elegant, simple game.

If you have never had the chance to see a game in a major league ballpark, you are missing out. I will never forget walking through the tunnel from the concourse into the stands and catching that first glimpse of the green grass and the white chalk.

Part 2. The Ridiculous.

I was sad when I heard that the San Jose Earthquakes of Major League Soccer were relocating to Houston. Even though I was long gone from the Bay Area by the time MLS was formed, I had always considered that San Jose was kind of my team, by geographic association with my other favorites.

I have also always considered myself liberal and empathetic, and I've never cared for Manifest Destiny, etc. Monroe was a great big arrogant prick.

Nevertheless, now I'm just annoyed. When the Earthquakes first relocated to Houston, it was announced that their nickname would be "1836" in European style and in honor of the year of Houston's founding, as well as Texas' independence from Mexico. Regardless of whether or not I personally feel that Mexico could have kept Texas, it still seemed like a good name.

Now, apparently, because some people say that "1836" is anti-Mexican, the franchise is changing its name to the Dynamo.

I'm sorry, but how could "1836" be offensive? Granted, I'm not Hispanic, but seriously, that's ridiculous. That's like saying we can't talk about 1945, because that would be anti-German. History is history, so don't be a poor loser.

Who has enough time to raise a fuss about this nickname?

Don't get me wrong; there are legitimate arguments for abolishing some nicknames, such as the Redskins, Seminoles, etc. But this is just a date from history, a significant event.

Oh, wait, that's right, sports is all about business, not the story line, and the franchise is looking to cash in on that big Hispanic market. God, I hate money.

No, that's not true. I love money. I'm as venal as the owners of the Dynamo. But money just makes sports utterly ridiculous.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

If you want to talk about ridiculous, how about the NFL issues that are going on right now? Finally, a league has a system that seems to work for everyone, and greedy people want to dismantle it. Why can no one in any aspect of life in this country ever see the long term picture?

9:28 AM  
Blogger Devin said...

Because the long term picture doesn't sell. Who wants to get old earning a measly million dollars a year? No, we need billions right this SECOND.

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home