Saturday, March 11, 2006

Random Thoughts On Music, Both Live and Dead

Musings in two sections.

Section Eins. The club scene.

So last night I went to The Other Side by myself to listen to this girl named Lennon sing. She is a singer from Orlando who apparently messaged every MySpacer from Missoula to let us know about her show. Normally I would treat this sort of recruitment as spam, but hey, she was hot. No, actually, I was still going to treat it as spam, but I thought, what the heck, and I checked out her music. It's damn good. Plus, she's hot. And so, despite all my instincts to stay at home and watch Arrested Development with Vaughn, Sadie and Tara for the zillionth time (and I love that word, "zillion"), I managed to kick myself out my door and over to the show.

Here are my observations from the show:

1) At any live performance, you will find those few guys who stand up front, right by the stage, and think that they are bonding with that hot singer. And then they will congratulate themselves after the show for having pissed off the rest of the bar (as a matter of fact, I think the rest of the bar didn't give a f..k. Or maybe that was just me).

2) Speaking of f..k, if the singer shouts f..k, as in "How you f..king doing, [insert name of current city, town, or boondocks here]," you know she is really, sincerely, honestly, f..king happy to be in [current city, town, or boondocks]."

3) The more people drink, the cleverer they think they are.

4) The real reason why you should go with someone to these shows is not to avoid looking weird and pathetic by sitting all by your lonesome; it's so you have someone to talk to when the show starts 40 minutes after it is scheduled to begin (and damn, I wish Drew had been there, because that would have been fun. Drew, you should definitely go check out Lennon sing in San Francisco on the 17th; she's good. Plus, she's hot.)

5) Live music rocks, no pun intended. No, scratch that, pun fully intended.

Section Deux.

You know, all through my life, the art-and-culture lobby has maintained that opera is all sophisticated and brilliant and whatnot. After listening to a bit of opera on NPR this morning at work, I realize why soap operas have opera in their name. The host was explaining this one scene, where, apparently, the protagonist, to demonstrate contrition or goodwill or something, throws his gun down on the floor, where it discharges, mortally wounding the father of his beloved. Maybe I misheard, but if I didn't, opera protagonists are pretty stupid. Who throws a gun down to the floor?

So I guess the lesson is never fall in love, because falling in love makes men act like idiots, and their idiocy wreaks death and mayhem upon innocent bystanders.

Opera's dumb. Also dead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home